Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sad

My goat finally kidded on Friday. Two perfect little baby does. They were vigorous and seemed to be nursing well. They did fine with the temperature Friday night and were fine all day yesterday. This morning when I went out to feed and check on everyone, both kids were dead.
Poor mama goat was so sad. She kept licking them, trying to make them get up and nurse.

For a few minutes I sat with the babies on my lap and just keened. Its so unfair.

Yeah, yeah, shit happens and life isn't fair and all that, but I wish the Universe would cut me a break for awhile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I am so sorry.

Kodi Wolf said...

Maybe one of the gods needed a sacrifice and things will get better now? I know I could use some 'betterness'. And maybe you'll get that break (and not in a bone).

Ceredwyn said...

Actually, I wondered the very same thing. I said to Bryan that morning (after I stopped crying), "Do you think this is the third death?".

I don't know if the Universe actually works that way, but the imposition of meaning on a meaningless event gives me comfort.

It also gives me comfort to know that the animals I keep and kill for food and the animals that I lose return to their archetypical selves. The individual chicken or goat or cow returns to Gaia (The Mother or whatever you want to call her) as Goat, Chicken or Cow.