Monday, April 16, 2007

Life and death

So I just came up for air after a 3 episode Six Foot Under mini marathon. I love that show. The soap opera set against the backdrop of the undertaker. Plus I'm reassured that other's share my interests since it had - what?- a six year run.

My dad is getting scanned to look for cancer this week and I should call him. A friend of mine's dad was just enrolled in hospice. Another friend's father-in-law died recently. I feel positively banal when I set my own stuff against that.

And yet...Although Lyme disease is not officially a fatal disease it does seem to shorten the life span. And it sure as hell does a number on quality of life. Rather than spending this shiny monday taking my kids out somewhere fun (they're on Spring Break), I spent it laying down in bed watching the aformentioned television show, 'cause I was just too damned tired to do anything else.

I just dragged my butt out of be a minute ago. My son is playing with his army guys on the table beside me right now and that's nice. This whole sunsensitivity thing completely blows because I can't even do the "Let's go to the park and I'll sit on the bench" thing

4 comments:

Bryan Alexander said...

Rest. Keep processing the anti-Lyme bacteriological warfare. We love you.

PS: what season of Six Feet?

Gardner said...

Hang in, Ceredwyn. We've never met, but I feel I know you a little (dangerously presumptuous, but there you go) through my colleague and your hubby Bryan. I'm following along from time to time, hoping that a turn for the better emerges soon.

All best wishes and hopes for healing from all of us at Clan Campbell: Gardner, Alice, Ian, and Jenny. Maybe we can get our kids together sometime before they begin to move out....

Anonymous said...

Lyme IS officially a fatal disease- the first official Lyme death was Mandy Schmidt of Sayreville, age 11, 1990... I web The Lyme Disease Memorial Page and I sincerely hope that neither you nor I ever end upon it. The most common types of death in Lyme seem to be suicide or anoxic encephalopathy-
Best wishes,
Sarah O.
The Lyme Disease Memorial Page at
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/lymedisease/Lyme/Memorial.html

Anonymous said...

p.s. And suicide is a cause of Lyme because it is more common than in other similar neurological diseases- it causes suicidality because it often infects the brain itself!!!