Friday, January 12, 2007

Signs of progress

I went to pick up hay for the goats yesterday. I get it from a farmer down in the valley. Its this great honor system thing. You go to his hay barn, grab your bales and then drop the money (2.50 a bale) into the jar on his porch marked "hay money". He's a real farmer. Cows, chickens, sheep, endless fields. Unlike me who just runs a personal petting zoo.

But I digress

So I was putting my two hay bales into the back of my SUV, and I thought "Huh, funny, these are a lot lighter than they should be." They fit into the back the way they usually do though (I can fit four into the back without putting down the seats). Went on with my day.

Got home after dark, so I left them in the car overnight.

This morning I took them out, loading them up into the the sled I use to move them to the goat pen. I thought again "These are really light, they must be smaller bales than usual" I took a good long look. They were baled by machine in the usual way with the usual amount of twine. They looked the same size. Suddenly, the penny dropped. I've been training. The bales are the same size, I'm just stronger. Whee!

I'm starting to believe in two things.

1. Maybe this Lyme treament is working
2.My goal of hiking the Long Trail is more than an ego thing. If I continue to train for hiking, my physical condition will continue to improve. Resulting in a happier, healthier, more capable wife for my husband, mom for my kids, EMT for my community and whatever else I need to be.

I thinks its called enlightened self interest.

No comments: