Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Overdoing it

Walked 5.6 miles with the dog today. I am very tired.

This morning it was one of the few really cold days we've had this winter, so I decided to pack up a little daypack and spend a couple of hours out in it. The weather was mostly overcast with some in and out sunshine. We walked along the road that runs by a creek. It was very pretty with just an inch or two of snow. The tree were all out lined with white. It was very crisp and quiet and I really didn't want to turn around. We went two miles before I thought it would be a good idea to turn back as my hip was beginning to bother me. By the time I got home, it was pretty sore.

A little while later, it was time to head down to walk my kids home from the bus stop. Their bus stop is exactly .8 mile from out doorstep. I often get some grief from them about what a loooong walk it is, but it gives them and myself time to talk when I go meet them. I almost always try to meet them because its a way of building a mile and a half walk into my day. Perhaps it would have been prudent to skip it today--I think the extra mile did me in.

The dog is also pretty tired. She has spent the entire evening curled up either on the sofa or the bed. I think that it was not so much the distance that wiped us out as the temperature. There's a couple of hills that generally never fail to have me pulling off at least one layer of clothing and today those hills were vital to keeping me warm. I didn't feel cold while I was out, but I was really pleased I had loaded up on snacks for us both.

So to bed. I will say that there is a deep satisfaction to be had in going to bed really physically tired.

1 comment:

Bryan Alexander said...

Rest, my poor dear, rest!